Grilled Thick-Cut Bacon Tacos
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
- 1 (1.5 lbs.) package Wright® Brand Hickory Smoked Bacon
- ½ cup sour cream
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon lime zest
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- (Optional) 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup prepared original slaw dressing
- 2 (11 ounce) packs mini four tortillas (24 tortillas)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
Preheat your outdoor grill using an indirect heat method. Preparing a charcoal grill; light the coals and once they are hot push the coals to one side. The indirect heat method will help prevent flare-ups from the natural bacon juices. This method can also be done using a propane grill by only turning on half of the grill during the cooking of the bacon.
Place bacon strips directly on the grill grates over the side opposite the hot coals or flames. Cook the bacon strips over the indirect heat for 15-25 minutes or until you achieve your favorite bacon doneness. Be sure to flip and rotate the strips often to help the cooking process. Rotating the strips will help the speed of cooking and help the bacon to not over-brown. Once the bacon is finished slice in half and place onto a stack of clean paper towels to drain any remaining juices; keep warm.
You can complete the next two steps while the bacon is cooking or before. Combine the sour cream, (optional) zests, orange, lime and lemon juices in a small mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper; refrigerate.
Combine the cabbage, green onion and carrot with slaw dressing in a mixing bowl; refrigerate.
Grill the tortillas over indirect heat for 1 minute (30 seconds per side) and wrap with a damp towel to help keep warm and pliable. Build the tacos by layering with the slaw, bacon and sour cream. Finish by sticking a 4-6 inch party skewer to hold the tortilla in place and garnish the tacos with the fresh cilantro leaves and chili flakes.